I did not know what to write today. This being Sunday, a day we worship the Lord and rest in Him and from our usual labors, I had not wanted to spend a lot of time on the blog. My husband was called out this morning on an emergency by some people who suddenly had no heat. It is in the single digits at night right now, so he went right over to help them. So, I had some free time on the computer that didn't interfere with our being together.
As I was sitting here trying to figure out what to type, a dear older gentleman, neighbor and friend came to our door. He is one of the most generous people we know. He is a widower, who has no family near him whom we try to include in our family. He is a home-body but has come to watch college football games with us, share special occasions like our children's graduations from home school, landmark birthdays, our children's weddings. This quiet man never stays long but honors us with his presence and wonderful stories every time he does come.
Today he came to bring us a small box of wood scraps. He does some woodwork and always has odd pieces leftover which he told me he hates to just throw away. We may be a little short of firewood this season, depending on the weather, and my husband is so busy with work, that the Lord has provided, that he doesn't have a lot of "free" time to get a permit and go into the woods to cut firewood. Nor do we usually have the funds to buy wood. We have some leftover from last year and lots of scrap lumber from the redoing of our 102 year old roof from which the original cedar shingles have never been removed. So, even a small box of wood scraps is a gift we very much appreciate. And I love the idea of not wasting and re-purposing what we have but no longer need. This is the third time since last summer that someone, out of the blue, has delivered wood to us---not knowing of our need but simply knowing we heat with wood. God knows of our needs and He always meets them.
I was reminded by this small thoughtful act of the mercies of God who loves to give good gifts to His children. With either trials or blessings the smallest of things truly bless us.
Have a great Sunday, everyone! And remember:
"Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above and comes down from the Father of lights, with whom there is no variation nor shadow of turning." James 1: 17
Kathi~

I wanted you to know I may not comment on every post, but I am really enjoying what you have written thus far! Just was this mama and homemaker needs! :-) Thank you!!
ReplyDeleteThat's fine, Tammy. It is enough knowing you are enjoying what I've written. I am having so much fun doing it, sometimes I feel like maybe I'm not really helping anyone. So, thanks for letting me know. Encouraging.........
ReplyDelete