Another meal thread
......a chicken in every pot!
Last week I did a thread of meals starting with a three-meat, three-pound meatloaf and a big pot of mashed potatoes.
These are the meals I created:
These are the meals I created:
Some are frozen for later use, others I made fresh. I like to intersperse other meals from previous menu threads into each thread for variation of ingredients, taste and nutrition.
1- Meatloaf with mashed potatoes
2-Shepherd's Pie
3-Spaghetti and Meatballs (cut-up cubes of meatloaf)
4-Spaghetti Pizza
5-Sweet and Sour Meatballs with rice and broccoli
6-Lasagna for two nights
7-Soup using the thread before this one, adding leftovers from above meals to the last of that soup
8-Hot Meatloaf Sandwiches w/mashed potatoes, broccoli with gravy using chicken broth from next thread
1- Meatloaf with mashed potatoes
2-Shepherd's Pie
3-Spaghetti and Meatballs (cut-up cubes of meatloaf)
4-Spaghetti Pizza
5-Sweet and Sour Meatballs with rice and broccoli
6-Lasagna for two nights
7-Soup using the thread before this one, adding leftovers from above meals to the last of that soup
8-Hot Meatloaf Sandwiches w/mashed potatoes, broccoli with gravy using chicken broth from next thread
9-a couple of lunches
Next thread of meals: Chicken in a Pot
Yesterday afternoon I put one whole chicken in my 7 qt. crockpot with carrots, onion, garlic and the last of the salvaged celery stalks that did not freeze and about 3 tablespoons of Costco's No-Salt Organic Spice and covered it almost to the top with cold water. I cooked it on high. When it was done, just before dinner, I cooled it and put it in the fridge overnight.
This afternoon I will skim the solidified fat off the top of the soup and take chicken out of the broth and remove all meat. I will grind up the gooey stuff, skimmed fat and skin in the blender and serve a little each day to our cats on top of their food. A little extra fat during the winter is good for them. Bones get put in a 2qt. crockpot with some spices and veggies of all kinds, including soft tomatoes, that need to be used up to make a little broth (strained and solids given to chickens) to use in other recipes or to freeze. The following meals will either be eaten fresh or frozen for later.
Meals I hope to get out of this thread are:
1-Chicken Soup with noodles or dumplings--tonight because neither of us feels very well.
2-Creamy Chicken Pasta with leftover blue cheese, sour cream and broccoli in a sauce made with broth
3-Cashew Chicken, a stir-fry with veggies, soy sauce, turmeric and broth
4-Creamed Chicken Soup, blenderized leftover soup in a mug with a cheese sandwich or hummus wrap
5- Chicken-Veggie Salad Dinner with homemade rolls
Next thread of meals: Chicken in a Pot
Yesterday afternoon I put one whole chicken in my 7 qt. crockpot with carrots, onion, garlic and the last of the salvaged celery stalks that did not freeze and about 3 tablespoons of Costco's No-Salt Organic Spice and covered it almost to the top with cold water. I cooked it on high. When it was done, just before dinner, I cooled it and put it in the fridge overnight.
This afternoon I will skim the solidified fat off the top of the soup and take chicken out of the broth and remove all meat. I will grind up the gooey stuff, skimmed fat and skin in the blender and serve a little each day to our cats on top of their food. A little extra fat during the winter is good for them. Bones get put in a 2qt. crockpot with some spices and veggies of all kinds, including soft tomatoes, that need to be used up to make a little broth (strained and solids given to chickens) to use in other recipes or to freeze. The following meals will either be eaten fresh or frozen for later.
Meals I hope to get out of this thread are:
1-Chicken Soup with noodles or dumplings--tonight because neither of us feels very well.
2-Creamy Chicken Pasta with leftover blue cheese, sour cream and broccoli in a sauce made with broth
3-Cashew Chicken, a stir-fry with veggies, soy sauce, turmeric and broth
4-Creamed Chicken Soup, blenderized leftover soup in a mug with a cheese sandwich or hummus wrap
5- Chicken-Veggie Salad Dinner with homemade rolls
6-Gourmet Chicken Rolls---last of chicken mixed with mayo, last of the sour cream, seasoning, veggies, raisins ( I found one box left from the grandkids' Christmas stockings!), crispy bacon (left in freezer from Christmas) and nuts served on buns made the day before.
7-If a little bit of chicken is left I will put it in a container and freeze to add to soup later.
I hope this gives you some ideas. Be creative! Have fun! Use as much of what you already have as you can! You are only limited by your creativity----and, of course, your budget.
My husband and I are empty-nesters and so the initial amount I make is small in comparison to a family who has children at home. Adjust the initial amount to make it larger, cook more than you need so you will have leftovers and can make the meals that follow the initial meal of the thread.
Obviously if you have 10 children you will need more than three pounds of meatloaf or one whole chicken for your meal threads. I am just listing what I do for the two of us. Even if it's not feasible for you to do it exactly the way I do, I believe you will still save money.
Have a great weekend. Tonight I will do a short blog on dealing with calamities in the kitchen, especially when company is expected!
Right now, I must go to the store----the ice on the porches has melted in this 45 degree heat wave we are having today. This week the local store has many things we ordinarily purchase, on sale! My list is made and I will use all the rules for shopping that I outlined in a previous blog. The sun and fresh air will do me good. It's a beautiful day!
7-If a little bit of chicken is left I will put it in a container and freeze to add to soup later.
I hope this gives you some ideas. Be creative! Have fun! Use as much of what you already have as you can! You are only limited by your creativity----and, of course, your budget.
My husband and I are empty-nesters and so the initial amount I make is small in comparison to a family who has children at home. Adjust the initial amount to make it larger, cook more than you need so you will have leftovers and can make the meals that follow the initial meal of the thread.
Obviously if you have 10 children you will need more than three pounds of meatloaf or one whole chicken for your meal threads. I am just listing what I do for the two of us. Even if it's not feasible for you to do it exactly the way I do, I believe you will still save money.
Have a great weekend. Tonight I will do a short blog on dealing with calamities in the kitchen, especially when company is expected!
Right now, I must go to the store----the ice on the porches has melted in this 45 degree heat wave we are having today. This week the local store has many things we ordinarily purchase, on sale! My list is made and I will use all the rules for shopping that I outlined in a previous blog. The sun and fresh air will do me good. It's a beautiful day!
Kathi~
No comments:
Post a Comment