TASTY TUESDAY
This morning I wrote my full blog and while I was editing, it disappeared totally. I didn't like it anyway so it was actually a good thing.
I went to the post office this afternoon and then to the grocery store south of us. I planned my purchases according to the sale ad and what good deals I found at the store, keeping in mind what I have at home. I came up with great meals that were to start tonight. I was excited to make it, take a picture of it and then share my ideas for leftovers with you. Yes, I plan leftovers! It saves money and satisfies creativity and is really fun!
When I got home my husband, after he brought in the groceries and saw I wasn't feeling well, asked me if he could make dinner. No, I didn't gasp or fall over, he often does that, especially when I am not feeling very well----like today. I am blessed!
Oddly, I had been wanting something calm and soothing like oatmeal, but hadn't had time to make it for myself. I asked him what he was thinking of making and he said, "How'd you like some oatmeal?" ....ha! He was feeling like he wanted something like that too. So, we had oatmeal---big, steamy bowls of creamy oatmeal with real maple syrup and unrefined, organic coconut oil-butter on top. It hit the spot!
I went to the post office this afternoon and then to the grocery store south of us. I planned my purchases according to the sale ad and what good deals I found at the store, keeping in mind what I have at home. I came up with great meals that were to start tonight. I was excited to make it, take a picture of it and then share my ideas for leftovers with you. Yes, I plan leftovers! It saves money and satisfies creativity and is really fun!
When I got home my husband, after he brought in the groceries and saw I wasn't feeling well, asked me if he could make dinner. No, I didn't gasp or fall over, he often does that, especially when I am not feeling very well----like today. I am blessed!
Oddly, I had been wanting something calm and soothing like oatmeal, but hadn't had time to make it for myself. I asked him what he was thinking of making and he said, "How'd you like some oatmeal?" ....ha! He was feeling like he wanted something like that too. So, we had oatmeal---big, steamy bowls of creamy oatmeal with real maple syrup and unrefined, organic coconut oil-butter on top. It hit the spot!
I realize that some of you do not find oatmeal tasty, and may be disappointed that I am sharing a bowl of oatmeal on my food day. So, I have included an oatmeal recipe sure to please!
Famous Oatmeal Cookies....printed on the back of a replica of an old Quaker Oats tin
I use nuts, raisins or cranberries, shredded unsweetened coconut and dark, 72% cocoa, chocolate chips. Let cool slightly for just a few seconds before removing from the cookie sheet. These spread well and produce a nice-sized cookie. If you are using rice flour or other non-gluten flours don't forget to add the extra eggs (which acts like gluten enabling ingredients to stick together and not be too crumbly) and maybe a little more flour if the batter looks a little thin, bake at a slightly lower temperature for a little longer and they should hold up well.
I hope you enjoy these.
What you will find out next Tasty Tuesday, I hope, is how I shop to save money, time and in order to create, leftovers. I love doing this and can make an initial meal stretch for 3-4 meals thereby cutting costs and time. I do not serve the same meat or main ingredient four days in a row but put some meals in the freezer to mix in with other weekly menus. I shop sales and in a different way than I think most people do. I shop by portion, or price per unit rather than by the pound and I do something I have a plan I have called "pacing" for years which prevents the end of the paycheck, what-on-earth-can-I-feed-this-family panic when the food and money run out. I will share all this next Tuesday along with the recipes I had come up with to start tonight though we are having that meal tomorrow.
Tomorrow I will continue going through rooms of my house sharing how to do the best with what you've got, fun ideas and spiritual applications.
Kathi~
3/4 cup shortening ( I use coconut oil which is solid and/or butter each softened but not melted)
1 cup firmly packed brown sugar
1/2 cup granulated sugar (or all brown sugar)
1 egg ( I use three eggs if I make this gluten-free)
1/4 cup water
1 teaspoon vanilla
3 cups oats, uncooked
1 cup flour ( I have used whole wheat, unbleached and rice flour)
1 optional teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
Preheat oven to 350* F. Beat together first six ingredients. Add remaining ingredients. Mix well.
Drop by rounded teaspoonsful onto greased cookie sheet.
Bake at 350* for about 12 to 15 minmutes. Makes about 5 dozen cookies
For variety: add chopped nuts, raisins, other dried fruit, coconut or chocolate chips.
I use nuts, raisins or cranberries, shredded unsweetened coconut and dark, 72% cocoa, chocolate chips. Let cool slightly for just a few seconds before removing from the cookie sheet. These spread well and produce a nice-sized cookie. If you are using rice flour or other non-gluten flours don't forget to add the extra eggs (which acts like gluten enabling ingredients to stick together and not be too crumbly) and maybe a little more flour if the batter looks a little thin, bake at a slightly lower temperature for a little longer and they should hold up well.
I hope you enjoy these.
What you will find out next Tasty Tuesday, I hope, is how I shop to save money, time and in order to create, leftovers. I love doing this and can make an initial meal stretch for 3-4 meals thereby cutting costs and time. I do not serve the same meat or main ingredient four days in a row but put some meals in the freezer to mix in with other weekly menus. I shop sales and in a different way than I think most people do. I shop by portion, or price per unit rather than by the pound and I do something I have a plan I have called "pacing" for years which prevents the end of the paycheck, what-on-earth-can-I-feed-this-family panic when the food and money run out. I will share all this next Tuesday along with the recipes I had come up with to start tonight though we are having that meal tomorrow.
Tomorrow I will continue going through rooms of my house sharing how to do the best with what you've got, fun ideas and spiritual applications.
Kathi~
No comments:
Post a Comment