Pages

Saturday, January 12, 2013

Too Cold to Blog?????

My grandpa used to say that sometimes it is too cold to snow. I don't know if that's just true in Kansas where he farmed, but here, today, in the teens, it snowed lightly almost all morning. Right now it is clearing off which usually, despite the sun's appearance, means it is getting colder.

Last night our low was 5*, today's high was 19*. At 4:30 pm it has dropped to 12*. We had ice on the inside of some of our windows when we went to bed last night. It is cold. It may not have been too cold to snow, but it was too cold to blog. We had to get this house warmed up.

We dressed this morning in layers then attempted to get the house up to room temperature. My husband tended both fires. And I......ideas....ideas????  My mind turned to our big, old,  un-insulated oven. Baking? I hate to bake. I especially dislike baking cookies. But in order to have the oven going all day giving off its heat, that is what I did. I baked.

I started by halving and de-seeding some squash from our garden. While that was baking I mixed the batter for oatmeal cookies that I shared with you several days ago. By the time that was done so were the small squash I cooked. The five dozen cookies turned out well apparently since a lot of them are missing and my husband is smiling!

Next, I put the cooled, cooked squash and a leftover baked yam from last night's dinner in the mixer along with honey, real maple syrup, cinnamon, eggs and 1/2 and 1/2.  I mixed that and when the cookies were done I poured the mixture into custard cups and my husband put them in the oven for me.

Two batches of rice are in the cooker. One batch will be used for an Asian stir fry made with last night's leftover chicken, mushrooms and onions. I will add some beef cut in strips, some raw broccoli and slivered red peppers and a few pinches of curry. Because we have too many cucumbers, I will make a simple cuke salad. I'll fry some won-tons, whose "use by" date is approaching, stuffed with apples that are a little too soft for eating raw, walnuts, honey and cinnamon for dessert. Tonight the rest of the beef and any of tonight's leftovers will be put in my big crock pot along with the de-glazing of the pan last night that I sauteed the chicken, onions and olives in and the veggie broth I made the other night when some veggies in my refrigerator froze. I have some leftover biscuits that I made two nights ago that will go well with the soup.

The sun is shining through the windows now, making a golden glow inside giving at least the appearance of warmth. The house smells spicy and is a toasty 73.

Oh....... the oven buzzer is going off .....the custards are done. It hasn't snowed for a few hours since the temp dropped. Maybe Grandpa was right! And, look, I did blog after all!

Enjoy the rest of the weekend and have a great Sunday!
Kathi~

No comments:

Post a Comment