Pages

Monday, January 7, 2013

I LOVE MONDAYS!
I have always  loved Mondays! Going back to school, or work, leaving the fun of weekends and the restfulness of Sundays to start a day when I prepare the home for the rest of the week has been my delight.

I am an avid list-maker, organizer, and planner. If I could plan the rest of my life in 15 ----okay, 5-minute increments, I would be thrilled. However, the well-known, oft-quoted line from a Robert Burns' poem, "...the best-laid plans of mice and men often go awry..."  (an Americanization of  the Scot's line  "...the best laid schemes o' mice an' men, gang aft a-gley.") is true.

I do realize this is NOT normal. Most hate Mondays for the same reasons I love them. I will buffer that by telling you that I also love Fridays because the weekend starts and, if I have been able, my house is weekend-ready, it is a relaxing time when there's not as much work to do. And the first day of the week, Sunday, is the pinnacle of that delight---or should be---when we take a day to rest in the Lord, renewing our spirits and worshiping our God with other believers.

I love beginnings and endings of things related to time. I am always excited to start Mondays. Always. I love to get up and follow the list I wrote the night before.

Today was such a day---big plans----write a recipe or two to post. Pay bills. Do laundry (which requires many trips up and down stairs), take down decorations and put away, dust, mop, shampoo the carpet, wax the floors. Dinner is already prepared. I was ready and happy for the start of my work week.

Last night I began taking down Christmas decorations setting everything on our dining room table when I suddenly felt ill. Chills, stomachache, earache, headache and general malaise. Meanwhile my husband was attempting to install our brand new bathroom sink since our 100 year old one broke beyond repair.  By this time I was snuggled up by the wood stove. Jim asked me to help him a minute and I did. I ended up wrenching my injured wrist which also ended his project for the night. As I came into the office to turn off the computer before bed, I saw our little fake tree in the library that the grandchildren decorated curiously un-decorated at cat-height, plastic needles strewn on the floor. Hmmmmm?

So, I have no sink in the only bathroom on this floor. A new sink, pedestal, assorted tools, sink parts, and boxes from which all this came, are in my living room. Last night I had put all my paperwork on the couch to organize for today. It is still there, unorganized.

As I was working on my blog in our bedroom this morning, I suddenly had a nose bleed. I haven't had one for three years but when I did they were massive. Following my ENT's instructions stopped it early in its tracks. I was thankful. However step 5, tells me to be sedentary and below that I am instructed to do "no bending, lifting or straining for one week!" Oh, boy!

 I took a  warm-ish, very short shower. Can't take a long, hot one for fear of it increasing circulation and bringing back the "epistaxis" as my ENT calls it. This was in a cold room whose heater had broken last night. Brrrrr!

You know, after so many little irritations you just have to laugh at life in general and give up! So, I gave up and tho' I can still do the paperwork, bills and will add recipes to my blog later, all my other plans must be laid aside at least until tomorrow. I bow to God's providence once again knowing He knows best. I do await with a little bit of excitement and some anxiety wondering what the Lord has for me in this day whose plans He in His loving providence, changed for my good and His eternal purpose. I may never know and that is okay too.

Robert Burn's poem line and Murphy's Law aside, I thought of the scriptures where it states that God directs our steps. "A man's heart plans his ways, but the Lord directs his steps." Proverb 16:4 and "Many are the plans in the mind of man, but it is  the purposes of the Lord that shall stand." Proverbs 19:21...and there are many more!

"...sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof."  Matthew 6:34b crossed my mind, but nothing that happened was evil----well, except maybe the cats' antics?

I realize those verses were not written to be taken so simplistically, but they comfort me.

Happy Monday! Kathi~

No comments:

Post a Comment