Pages

Thursday, January 10, 2013

Hospitality
......giving to the more needy
Many today who are struggling financially to put enough food on their own tables feel bad that it seems that they cannot help those even more needy than themselves. I know it used to bother me.

There are food drives, donation boxes in stores and there are always needy families. In the corner of my kitchen I keep a shopping bag where I collect free or inexpensive items to give when the opportunity  or need arises. There were some years I couldn't do even this but was on the receiving end of such charities. I understand.

Before most holidays there are free, or incredibly inexpensive items on sale, most of which we cannot use. At first I could only give the free items. But now, I am able to give more.

For awhile it bothered me that I gave food I do not believe is healthy to the poor, but most people do eat things like that and since they would buy these items anyway I felt better about it. I have been poor, very poor, and know what it is to use non-ideal foods just to feed our children. Most of the time now, thankfully, I  am able to add large bagged or boxed staples such as dry beans, split peas, lentils, flour, rice or oatmeal.

A homemade loaf  bread, a home-canned item, produce from  your garden, homemade soup or chili taken to a suffering family is always nice and fairly inexpensive. Also appreciated especially by pregnant women or new moms is an offer of your time and a freeing up of theirs. Help to prepare frozen meals using their own food. In the early days of my daugthers' pregnancies---before all but one moved away, when they suffered from nausea and never knew what would sound good to them, I would cook a little extra for our meals and freeze a serving for them. That way they could just grab what sounded good.

There are businesses, especially in the health field, who offer reduced or free services if you bring in one or two non-perishable food items. A good idea to build a business, save on the services they offer, and help the needy. And you can certainly bring more if you are able to do that.

A great way to save money is to coupon.  I am not a food coupon person for one reason----most of the foods we eat are bought in bulk or are perishable. But there are lots of other things for the household  that I can get with coupons, once I learn how it's done. Our oldest daughter is teaching me how to do this. She shops wisely for her family of ten, eating natural foods, and gets many things free that she donates to groups.  She has agreed to be a guest writer on my blog sharing her ideas with you.

I hope this has encouraged you...and remember:
Luke 6:38 "Give and it shall be given unto you;  good measure, pressed down and shaken together and running over shall men give into your bosom. For with the same measure that ye mete withal it shall be measured to you again."

2 Corinthians 9:7b "God loves a cheerful giver."
and in verse 9b "...He hath given to the poor: His righteousness remaineth forever."

Amen.
Kathi~

No comments:

Post a Comment