A Totally Different Day
....... I really needed this
I took today off.
I left dishes in the sink. I left laundry in the dryer. I ignored everything that needed to be put away.
I went down the street to spend a good part of the day with my daughter and her kids.
As I drove up to the house one of the dogs jumped up to greet me when I opened the car door.
As I traversed the snow and ice I could see little heads bouncing here and there through the front window and I could hear the vacuum cleaner as I walked up to the door.
The dog sneaked in as I entered and one of the twins ran up to me for a hug
while the other one finished vacuuming and later, did the same.
The two year old sheepishly smiled at me then showed me his cars, his passions in life right now,
and then ran off.
The baby was in her swing and my daughter, looking lovely in her pretty dress and shining curls,
was filling a large basket on an ottoman with lovely plant and berry material.
Everywhere I looked was a little vignette of simple beauty.
Their living room was charmingly inviting as they continued to work picking up
toys and other things on the floor.
We stood and talked for awhile,
me in the dining room topping off the basket on the table with some fruit I brought for the kids,
while our daughter worked in the kitchen washing up the last of the dishes.
The twins wiped off the top of the stove and helped put things away.
The baby fussed unless I made silly faces and noises at her which made her smile.
We sat in the living room, children playing happily and noisily all around us. While my daughter nursed her baby the two year old snuggled up next to her under a quilt after getting his oldest brother's bible out that was at the top of a stack of hymnals.
He recited the beginning of the 23rd. Psalm to me with lisps in all the right places
and a winning smile at the end. So adorable!
We visited awhile then we had lunch, while I fed little smashed pieces of avocado to the baby who delightedly pulled my hand holding the spoon to her mouth just as her mother did at that age.
Such sweetness.
Later I helped with their dinner while our daughter made bread.
We both looked through the cupboards, refrigerator and freezer and she went out to the pantry to get more things for what turned out to be a delicious Mexican-y soup.
She started some laundry and as the little toddler ran round and round the table pushing a toy,
the twins played dress up.
I tied scarves as big waist bows on them and helped them into layer after layer of skirts,
dresses and blouses.
Spiderman in his cape
visited Snow White and Rapunzel
now and then until they decided to play a board game and Spiderman
helped himself to a pear.
....... I really needed this
I took today off.
I left dishes in the sink. I left laundry in the dryer. I ignored everything that needed to be put away.
I went down the street to spend a good part of the day with my daughter and her kids.
As I drove up to the house one of the dogs jumped up to greet me when I opened the car door.
As I traversed the snow and ice I could see little heads bouncing here and there through the front window and I could hear the vacuum cleaner as I walked up to the door.
The dog sneaked in as I entered and one of the twins ran up to me for a hug
while the other one finished vacuuming and later, did the same.
The two year old sheepishly smiled at me then showed me his cars, his passions in life right now,
and then ran off.
The baby was in her swing and my daughter, looking lovely in her pretty dress and shining curls,
was filling a large basket on an ottoman with lovely plant and berry material.
Everywhere I looked was a little vignette of simple beauty.
Their living room was charmingly inviting as they continued to work picking up
toys and other things on the floor.
We stood and talked for awhile,
me in the dining room topping off the basket on the table with some fruit I brought for the kids,
while our daughter worked in the kitchen washing up the last of the dishes.
The twins wiped off the top of the stove and helped put things away.
The baby fussed unless I made silly faces and noises at her which made her smile.
We sat in the living room, children playing happily and noisily all around us. While my daughter nursed her baby the two year old snuggled up next to her under a quilt after getting his oldest brother's bible out that was at the top of a stack of hymnals.
He recited the beginning of the 23rd. Psalm to me with lisps in all the right places
and a winning smile at the end. So adorable!
We visited awhile then we had lunch, while I fed little smashed pieces of avocado to the baby who delightedly pulled my hand holding the spoon to her mouth just as her mother did at that age.
Such sweetness.
Later I helped with their dinner while our daughter made bread.
We both looked through the cupboards, refrigerator and freezer and she went out to the pantry to get more things for what turned out to be a delicious Mexican-y soup.
She started some laundry and as the little toddler ran round and round the table pushing a toy,
the twins played dress up.
I tied scarves as big waist bows on them and helped them into layer after layer of skirts,
dresses and blouses.
Spiderman in his cape
visited Snow White and Rapunzel
now and then until they decided to play a board game and Spiderman
helped himself to a pear.
We didn't do anything special.
We enjoyed each other's company and watched the little ones.
It was a delightful day that I felt greatly refreshed by.
There is something about a mother in her home with her children around her as she works,
taking time for their little needs that delights me.
I was filled with memories of being the mother with little ones around me
as I worked and played with them.
Oh, what a blessed calling is motherhood.
All that I left behind will still be there in the morning
and I will be better able to handle my tasks
after having my very soul refreshed by the beauty of the day.
I am very thankful.
Kathi~
No comments:
Post a Comment