Pages

Sunday, January 13, 2013

The view from our bedroom window
......beautiful ice crystals!
Years ago I struggled with our long, sometimes severe winters.  I did not see any beauty in winter at that time because I was totally focused on the inconveniences of it and my own discomfort.

I loved the warmer seasons but winter, for me, was something to endure, sometimes painfully. I focused on what was and what was to come. I did not live in the present during winter, but shut it out while complaining about it. I find now that I shut out much beauty.

A dear Christian friend helped me see that there is beauty in winter. She told me to stop focusing on the unpleasantries of winter. She challenged me to look for displays of the mighty power of God. I must admit I preferred to see God's power in the beauty of a spring flower, a budding tree, afternoon rains and sunny days. But I took her encouragement to heart, somewhat skeptically........

I now see beauty in winter. Ice, turquoise ice jams in the rivers to me now are like beautiful gems----cold, but exquisite. Icy fog rolling around feels cozy. When the fog gives way to hoar frost in the mornings I am always amazed at its intricate detail.  Glittery snow, sparkling moisture in the air, big snowflakes delight me as they do a child. I marvel at the first snow. I always feel sad when a pristine snowfall overnight must be ravaged by shovels digging out paths to vehicles. I even love a blizzard when each family member is safely warm at home. And the bare vines and trees enchant me with their stark beauty.

So, thank you dear friend. You have no idea how you have helped me.

I still do not like being cold, but I can see the handiwork of God in a window covered with ice crystals!

Have a wonderful Sunday...............

No comments:

Post a Comment