Pages

Friday, January 11, 2013

Quick Tip...one thing to do with "uh-ohs"
Last night as I was preparing our shrimp salads and leftover (disguised) soup------recipes and pictures on Tasty Tuesday!----- I found that some things in our refrigerator had frozen. Why this happens I do not understand but it seems to be when the weather changes. And it got much colder last night.

I hate to waste food so while I was pulling veggies out to put in the salads I set aside things that had frozen---mostly carrots and celery. I got out my littlest crockpot and tossed those in after washing the celery. I was cutting veggies anyway so I trimmed some other things to add to the pot: broccoli rab and stems, cauliflower leaves and stem, red cabbage's outer leaves,  some limp outer lettuce leaves. I also cut up the ends of the red onion that wasn't good enough to go in the salads but were great for flavoring a broth. I plugged it in, added a favorite spice and let it cook slowly all night. Sure smelled good this morning! The yucky parts of the veggies went into the chicken bucket. Our hens and rooster will appreciate some raw veggies this time of year and will graciously turn them into eggs.

We are having marinated (in some beer that tasted gross but will lend itself to a marinade quite nicely) chicken breasts, cooked brocoli, baked yams and a raw salad tonight. Tomorrow the leftover chicken will be added to the vegetable broth that has been whirled in the blender as will some rice. I will cook twice the rice that I need so that on Saturday we can have it with the Asian Curried Beef I have planned. If there are leftovers from that meal they will go into the freezer to be added, along with any leftover "creamed" chicken, rice soup, to our Monday night soup!

Have a great weekend!
Kathi~

No comments:

Post a Comment