Mom
.....memories and pumpkin seeds
In she walked bearing a gift as usual. It was not muffins, cookies or quick bread that she loved to bake and give, but a small pumpkin. It was early Autumn, and tho' it certainly wasn't "in the air" it was well on its way.
Mom wasn't sure who she was at first but I saw the "light" come on when she mouthed her name. The guest smiled as did Mom---a big smile. This woman had saved her life two years earlier and so had, and always will have, a special place in our hearts.
Mom's smile wore off and her eyes went to the pumpkin. She held out her hands which was not easy at that time. She took the pumpkin in her hands and held it as one would shelter a small injured bird----gently, fondly, staring at it smiling. The guest giggled and asked if she knew what it was. Mom nodded and added, "It's a pumpkin." We smiled and watched not quite knowing what to do. She held it for a long time, arms outstretched. Then suddenly she looked at us both and whispered, "It's getting heavy." I took it and put it on her bedside cabinet with her cards.
My mother passed away somewhat unexpectedly a few days after that, three months ago. When it was time to leave her, I could not leave the pumpkin behind. I brought it home. I passed it many times. Sometimes I would touch it and smile----yes, and sometimes cry. It was the last thing Mom held except for my hand. Maybe it sounds silly, but it comforted me as I remembered her delight at something so small.
It started to get old and since I could not bear for it to die I took the seeds out, dried them, and put them in an old creamer to save and plant in the spring. There must have been over 100 seeds in that little squash, the entire big-for-its-size cavity being totally filled with them. I am excited to plant them in our garden this year --------- and for as long as I need to.
Seeing the seeds in the kitchen reminds me of the seeds she planted in me by her example and love which makes me thankful that God gave me to her and my dear Popa who preceded her in death over 20 years ago.
As mothers we are continually planting seeds in our children whether purposefully or not. They are in our care for such a short time. Seek to sow seeds of righteousness that the good seed might choke out the weeds that will naturally come up beside them.
They may not remember many details of life but will remember how you loved them. Show them, tell them often. So that, if, at the end of your life, you do not always know who they are, they will know that in your deepest heart of hearts you will always remember and love them.
Goodnight..........Kathi~
My mother passed away somewhat unexpectedly a few days after that, three months ago. When it was time to leave her, I could not leave the pumpkin behind. I brought it home. I passed it many times. Sometimes I would touch it and smile----yes, and sometimes cry. It was the last thing Mom held except for my hand. Maybe it sounds silly, but it comforted me as I remembered her delight at something so small.
It started to get old and since I could not bear for it to die I took the seeds out, dried them, and put them in an old creamer to save and plant in the spring. There must have been over 100 seeds in that little squash, the entire big-for-its-size cavity being totally filled with them. I am excited to plant them in our garden this year --------- and for as long as I need to.
Seeing the seeds in the kitchen reminds me of the seeds she planted in me by her example and love which makes me thankful that God gave me to her and my dear Popa who preceded her in death over 20 years ago.
As mothers we are continually planting seeds in our children whether purposefully or not. They are in our care for such a short time. Seek to sow seeds of righteousness that the good seed might choke out the weeds that will naturally come up beside them.
They may not remember many details of life but will remember how you loved them. Show them, tell them often. So that, if, at the end of your life, you do not always know who they are, they will know that in your deepest heart of hearts you will always remember and love them.
Goodnight..........Kathi~

No comments:
Post a Comment