Pages

Monday, February 11, 2013

Tip for To Do Lists
....how to always finish your daily lists

If you do not make "to do" lists, do not bother to read this.

If the first thing on your "to do" list each day is,
"Write a to do list"
you are too far gone for this to help, so do not bother to read this.

For those of you, like me, who tend to run out of day before you run out of  list,
do read this.

Here's what I used to do:
Write the name of the day at the top of the page and list all the things I think I can accomplish
(in a perfect world, maybe) that day.
Or ----
type it and send it as an email to myself .
Or----
leave it on the computer as a draft
Or----
print out a copy of the list.
As I worked, or at the end of the day, I would cross everything off the list
feeling very satisfied.
IF
(okay, always.....)
there was anything left undone it went on the next day's list.
This progressed into just crossing off the few things I got done, leaving on the list the things I did not have time to do and then crossing off the name of the day at the top and scribbling in
the next day's name and adding more to the list.

My next spiral descent ended up with me writing
 "Monday through Saturday"
on the top of the page.
This became confusing because every week has a Monday, etc.
I wasn't sure what list was from which week and, as is almost always the case,
most things needed to be done at the very least once a week.

I have finally come up with a new, absolutely foolproof plan
which I hope to start tomorrow.

I will start my next list by writing "Tuesday" at the top of the page, leaving the rest of the page blank.
I will do what I can.
Then at night before bed I will write or type in all the things I did do on Tuesday
and then I will cross them off.
I think this could work!

Seriously though----
there are times and good reasons why we all can't always accomplish everything we desire to do in one day.
We must keep our priorities and whereas keeping a relatively orderly and clean home is way up there even more important things get in the way of perfection: God's plans, husbands, children, babies, family, friends, the weather, illness, exhaustion...
I remember a part of a poem I first read when our firstborn was a baby, and I am paraphrasing here:
Cobwebs be quiet,
Dust go to sleep,
I'm nursing my baby,
and babies won't keep.
So true. Neither do older children and husbands and many other things....not keep.
Of course there are times when we are called away from those things.
This, like everything else, is a matter of the heart and discipline.
If there are times when you just don't seem to be getting anywhere and when the demands of life in general are weighing you down, take heart.
If you are doing too much or not enough, confess that and change direction.
Weigh what you do, count the cost, eliminate unimportant things comparing them with what the scriptures tell you are your true responsibilities.
And always ask God for strength to do what you must. Ask Him to give you joy in doing those things.
Do not be too hard on yourself.
And as always, keep a good sense of humor.

I am sick still today and what I've accomplished so far is to get up late, take a shower, get dressed, have some soup, write, take leftovers out of the refrigerator for tonight. The only thing I haven't done is to sit by the fire snuggled under a soft, soft blanket reading, watching TV or listening to beautiful music.
This desire is due to a wonderful picture one of my nieces shared.
That, in fact, is my main "to do" today!


I know there are a lot of helps out there----
wonderful lists, organizational tools and ideas but for those of us who would like to be one of those women all the time, but who aren't,
 I hope this bit of humor and honesty helps!

If anyone does come up with a truly fool-proof plan for busy moms and  homemakers,
Do let me know!

This fun little blog was inspired by one of our daughters, and a friend who is our daughter's age, both mentioning within a few minutes of each other how busy they are.

Well, ladies----don't necessarily look forward to a day when your lists are shorter and you can accomplish everything. I'll let you know if that ever happens.
I'm still waiting.
Maybe I should add that to my "To Do" list?
Kathi~




No comments:

Post a Comment