Pages

Monday, February 11, 2013

Quick Tip
......free moisturizer!

I don't know about you, but I can get messy in the kitchen.
As every cook knows hands get covered with all sorts of things besides sudsy dishwater.
I have found a way to cash-in on that too!

When I am finished making bread or handling things that have oil in/on them, I rub my hands together really well, working the oil into my skin and, if they aren't painted, my finger nails too. THEN I wash, or just rinse them and pat dry----depending on what it is. This protects the skin from getting dried out and gives
a lovely softness and sheen to hands and nails. I would only do this though, with the good oils.
There are many good oils. And there are many unhealthy oils.
Google it!
And, of course, organic is always the best, but, I know, not inexpensive.

Now, I don't do this if mixing something like meatloaf with my hands or anything else that is raw, and can spoil or harbor bacteria, like eggs and raw fish, chicken, any meats. But I do this after I have fried something. For example, my hands get oily after handling and filling fried corn tortillas. If my hands don't get oily the paper towel which I've drained the tacos on is oily and I use that to massage into my hands before throwing it away. And when I peel an avocado it seems they are always gooshy at some point or I get green all over my hands when taking out the pit or washing the pit off to dry a bit before I plant it for a nice house plant. If no avocado comes off on your hands rub the inside of the peels on the outside of your hands and rub in. Coconut oil, which is solid at room temperature except in the summer, and does not need refrigeration, is a great moisturizer and has a lovely scent.
I use butter too but wash with soap right away after massaging into my hands.

I keep a small jar of coconut oil in the bathroom for putting on dry areas before I get into the shower. Don't use too much and be careful none gets on the bottom of the shower/tub making the surfaces slippery. I use a tiny amount, enough to coat the skin and rub it in gently, so it is not drippy so not much will come off in the shower making surfaces slippery.

One of my daughters has told me that she no longer uses coconut oil to wash or moisturize her face because it clogged her pores. At almost 65, I am not sure I still have pores to clog---- but I did stop using it on my face----just in case. Wrinkles are bad enough, I don't want to chance having enlarged pores along with them! I use it on elbows, arms, hands, knees, the neck and dry patches where I don't use soap. Don't put it on your feet or you might slip and fall.

There are sites online that tell of the many uses of coconut oil and avocado----and many others.
Oils and other fats have gotten a bad rap. And yet the peoples in whose cultures certain oils and fats are used have lower disease rates, death rates and better skin than we do in our low-fat, diet food, high-carb, high fake and other dangerous sugar typical American diets.

Don't be afraid of good fats.
Re-educate yourselves on what is good and what is not
And meanwhile, use the good fats in the kitchen not only to nourish but to moisturize----
for FREE!



No comments:

Post a Comment