Pages

Saturday, February 16, 2013

Quick Tips
.......post-holiday shopping deals

I went into town yesterday.
I had some birthday shopping to do and wanted to check out the post-Valentine's Day leftovers.
After wading through aisles of bunnies, baskets, plastic eggs and marshmallow candy I found
aisles of half-off Valentine leftovers.
I was able to pick up adorable stuffed animals that were
 not at all Valentine-y.
I got paper cupcake/muffin holders, stencils for Christmas stocking stuffers for the grandkids.
I grabbed the last pretty pad of paper that did not say, "Be Mine"  on it for list-making .
There were a few other fun things purchased for upcoming
birthdays throughout the year.
And while pilfering through a huge bin of DVD's for 96 cents each
I did mange to find three that were okay for families and children
----or anyone for that matter!
There were things that could have been purchased, but I was in such a hurry
and didn't want to overspend or buy things I really did not need.
As I've said before, it is important to
plan what to buy, weighing each decision even though the amount of money
spent may be very small.
Just as saving even a little all adds up so does spending
even a little too much.
Being in a hurry without a plan can be a counter productive to wise shopping.
Things that are cheaper are only a good deal if you need or commonly use them in the first place.
I resisted gift bags, tissue paper, tins, mittens, hats, books,
 giant pencils and coloring books, perfume, toys and lots of
candy as well as other cute stuffed animals.
I do wish I had gotten more stuffed animals though.
With eleven grandchildren, some of them being little ones with birthdays coming soon
and with baby showers I might be invited to, I could really use more.
I love to put some clothes or another gift  in a bag with a stuffed animal sticking out the top of the bag!
If I catch a good sale on these cute little critters I can buy them for what it would
have cost me to buy some ribbon and tissue paper!
When looking through the stuffed animals after holidays
check the stitching on holiday ribbons and  big stuffed hearts that say "Be Mine"
and other such things.
I have found that they are usually tacked on with just a few easy-to-snip stitches. You can do the
same with Easter bunnies and chicks and just about every holiday animal.
Save what you cut off for giving on the actual holidays for which  they were originally designed.
Save the ribbons for gift wrapping, hair bows or crafts.
 Just get them after the holiday or season is over when
they are marked way down.

Here's some tips for doing this kind of shopping:

Think "colors" when post-holiday shopping.

  • Bright colors, shiny black, flash and sparkles for New Year's Eve
  • There's lots of red, purple and pink for Valentine's Day
  • We all know about the "wearin' o' the green" on St. Patrick's Day along with more white
  • Easter is a great time for pastel colors that you might use for baby or bridal showers
  • Pinks and purples for Mom on her day
  • Father's Day? Hmmm......maybe dark greens, blues, or browns?
  • All sorts of typical school colors at Graduation time
  • Red, white and blue of course for Independence Day
  • Orange and black even for those of us who don't celebrate Halloween
  • All the Fall colors are available at Thanksgiving
  • And of course red and green along with sparkly things and other colors are easy finds after Christmas

If there is no room in your budget to stock up then hopefully you can find something you need now and can be happy that you got it for less. I have been "there" before but have been able to enjoy
this kind of stocking up for years now and enjoy that it saves me a lot of money in the long run and
since we are no longer living hand-to-mouth.

I hope this encourages you to plan ahead and be creative.
Goodnight.
Kathi~

No comments:

Post a Comment