Baked Chili Relleno Casserole
......a recipe from my mom's recipe box (from her friend Pat)
......a recipe from my mom's recipe box (from her friend Pat)
7 oz. can whole green chilies with seeds removed (or use Poblano peppers you prepare yourself)
Cheddar cheese for grating on top of dish
Jack Cheese for stuffing or layering peppers
6 eggs---or more to cover chilies and cheese
3 tablespoons flour
1 can evaporated milk I use half and half or leave milk out entirely adding another egg or two.
**Mom's recipe does not give full instructions but I add the flour to the cold milk and then to the egg mixture.
Grease glass pan.
Place chilies on the bottom either stuffed with cheese or layered (Mom always made them with thick slices
of cheese wrapped in a whole chili spaced evenly on bottom of pan.
Whip egg mixture and pour over chilies
Bake at 325* for one hour or until eggs are set up. Let sit 30 minutes.(I never have done this)
Add tomato sauce and some grated cheese. (sometimes I pour mild salsa over the top instead)
**I make my own tomato sauce from tomato paste. Tomato paste is usually just tomatoes. Tomato sauce now has other things added like sugar and salt and often other spices.
Variation: add ground beef or meat of your choice to tomato sauce.
Hope you enjoy this as much as we always do. It is a little spicy but not bad I don't think.
Kathi~
Cheddar cheese for grating on top of dish
Jack Cheese for stuffing or layering peppers
6 eggs---or more to cover chilies and cheese
3 tablespoons flour
1 can evaporated milk I use half and half or leave milk out entirely adding another egg or two.
**Mom's recipe does not give full instructions but I add the flour to the cold milk and then to the egg mixture.
Grease glass pan.
Place chilies on the bottom either stuffed with cheese or layered (Mom always made them with thick slices
of cheese wrapped in a whole chili spaced evenly on bottom of pan.
Whip egg mixture and pour over chilies
Bake at 325* for one hour or until eggs are set up. Let sit 30 minutes.(I never have done this)
Add tomato sauce and some grated cheese. (sometimes I pour mild salsa over the top instead)
**I make my own tomato sauce from tomato paste. Tomato paste is usually just tomatoes. Tomato sauce now has other things added like sugar and salt and often other spices.
Variation: add ground beef or meat of your choice to tomato sauce.
Hope you enjoy this as much as we always do. It is a little spicy but not bad I don't think.
Kathi~
No comments:
Post a Comment