Pages

Monday, February 18, 2013

Quick Hair Tip

As I type this I am mayonnaise-ing my hair.
A long time ago a friend of mine told me she put mayo on her hair to condition it and combat dryness.
I remembered that in the 1970's I used to use a hair repair that was pretty expensive and
which I always thought  looked like mayonnaise.
I also remembered that back in the 1950's as a pre-teen it was popular to use raw egg as a shampoo and when I was a little girl my mom always did a vinegar rinse on my dark brown hair to make it shine and to condition it. In college I gave myself hot oil treatments that were also a little spendy.

Mayo ingredients, among other things, are eggs, oil and vinegar.
So now, from time to time as my hair seems to need it
I "mayo" my hair.

Of course if you are allergic to any of the ingredients in mayonnaise don't use it. Try it on a little patch of your
head---very little----to make sure it doesn't make you itch or break out.
I take a big spoonful and put it in a bowl---amount depends on how much hair you have, its density and thickness. I rub my hands together slightly and apply it to just my dry hair, not the scalp. The hair gets kind of
stiff and you can wrap it up in a bun on top of your hair using a little more on the ends to stick it down----of
course this also depends on length and density of hair. You can put a shower cap on or wrap it in plastic instead if you like. And/or you can wrap it in a large towel. I do this on a day when I am unlikely to get visitors or when I'm not expecting a delivery of some kind or a repairman. But as a safeguard I carry a towel with me so I can wrap it up in case someone does come over. I also apply some to my face, lips and neck and rub what got on my hands into my hands and forearms, rinse right away with warm water and pat dry.This leaves them very soft and shiny and not the least bit greasy.
I have left it on for hours or for minutes. I recommend somewhere in between. When you wash it you may have to do it more than once. I have thin, fine hair that is medium short and I have to shampoo twice. Let warm water run on it before adding shampoo to get the oils to rinse off your head, as much as possible.
Make sure you buy real mayo----not fat-free or egg-less---you want
 all those ingredients to nourish  your hair.
This makes hair very shiny but not greasy if you shampoo it enough.
You can also make your own mayo----it's pretty easy and will have nothing
in it that's harmful if you are not allergic to the ingredients.

Another great tip for shiny hair is a cold water rinse. I turn the faucet or shower---pointed away from my body---brrrr----so that it only goes on my hair, not even the scalp which can be a great shock to your system. You can even use something to pour cold water over your head in a more controlled way. I can feel when it has done its job of sleeking down the cuticle of the hair. It just feels different.When you feel that difference you're done. This only takes a few seconds. I have read that it closes the cuticle which has been opened by shampooing it and gives it a very shiny look and a feeling of strength to the hair shaft. I must admit though that I rarely do this during the winter time!
Vinegar is good too---for conditioning. I have heard it restores the natural pH balance of the hair.
Not fond of the smell but I always had shiny hair as a little girl when Mom used to
do this to me as her mother had done to her when she was a little girl!
My great grandmother swore by vinegar rinse as an anti-peeling remedy when you got too much sun.
Never worked for me but did sting and I did peel which I rarely do.

Some old wives' tales are great, others----not so much!
There are lots of good sites and books out there about using natural products
for health and beauty. Fun reading and you may come up with some other ideas.
Pinterest is a great resource too!

Hope this helps!
Time to rinse this stuff out. It is getting stiff!

Have a great Monday!
Kathi~

1 comment:

  1. I have a friend who just wrote me on FB saying that she did the mayo thing in high school and couldn't get it out of her hair after 3 or 4 shampooings. I have never had that trouble nor did my friend who had short very thick curly hair.
    I would hate for that to happen to any of you, so, I'd say try it at your own risk. If you have very long, thick hair you might try it just on the ends which is usually where hair is the driest. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete