Pages

Monday, March 4, 2013

Our Forty-first Wedding Anniversary
March 4


We have decided to save going out for a really nice dinner until an already-planned weekend trip later  this month, when I am not sick.
Thanks to the snow last night, my husband had to cancel work planned for today. What he needs to do cannot be done in the mud the thawing snow has made. So we are spending more time together than we usually would, which is nice.
I am making a shopping list which is difficult since all food sounds awful to me.
We are going to drive to town to grocery shop. I will take along a good book and a blanket and stay in the car while my husband buys what we need.
We don't need very much---one of, perhaps the only,
benefit of being sick is saving on the food budget!
I know this will one day be yet another family story of our many ill-fated, now-comical family stories, several occurring on our anniversaries.
One day I just may take the advice of those who have heard the stories and write a book.
But for now.....we are trying to make the most of the situation...doing the best with what we've got.
Maybe tonight we will watch some old slides. That would be fun. 
Or maybe a movie?
I am sure we will verbally relive the day we became husband and wife.
But there will be nothing special we will do tonight.
Some things we will do as we always have, not just on our anniversaries, but every night.
My husband will grill a steak for himself and bake me a potato and I will make him a big salad and cook myself some green beans which is all that sounds good to me.
He will take my hand as he always does and put his arm around me if we are standing up and he will thank God for the food, ask that God would use it to heal me and say a word or two about our life together. He will then kiss me as he does every night ......or just my hand or forehead since I am sick. 

 He will give a wine (a sip sounds good to me) toast to us because it is our anniversary and I will see those blue eyes twinkle as they always do when he reveals his heart.
As he looks, it seems,  into my very soul, he will flash that crooked grin that attracted me
42 years ago when we met. I will find it hard to look him in the eyes----it is so intense I can't bear it for long. Can a 64 year old wife of 41 years still blush???
Apparently.....

So, no fancy restaurant. No gourmet food.  No decadent dessert. No dressing up.
Just me, in some loung-y clothes, him, needing a haircut still (I  am his barber), wearing jeans and slippers relaxing at home......remembering, reminiscing, laughing.
Doing the best with what we've got! 
And that doesn't sound half bad!

Sometimes-----often, in fact, the very best is found not in riches, going out some place new or special, traveling, dancing, drippy candles and soft music but in the every day, ordinary things.
This is true romance----the rest is nice---but beauty and love are more often than not, found in the simple things.....if we look for them.
So, tonight I step back from the usual anniversary glitz and celebration
and guess what?????  
I find the best of what we've got.
And I know full-well Who gives it!

Thank you, Lord for this man, this marriage, our children and grandchildren, our home, all the memories, and all the years together.
And most of all, for your saving grace bestowed on both of us!
Kathi~




6 comments:

  1. God bless you on your anniversary! I for one am thankful for the Lord blessing you both....especially with children!
    What a great post, & so true!
    Love,
    Your favorite firstborn (as Daddy puts it!)
    Emily

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He did bless us, thank you. It was a lovely time together though I was sick.
      Ha----yeah, we are glad He blessed us with children too!
      Love, Mother~

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Thanks! It was a very happy one!
      Love, Mom~

      Delete
  3. You and Dad have a great testimony! I think the 3 of us are very blessed to be effected by it. We all chose great life partners are happily married, and it would be naive to think that your testimony didn't have something to do with that. I hope that in 40+ something years we can all have similar statements to make.

    Very nice post! Very encouraging! Appreciate the transparency!

    James

    ReplyDelete
  4. Okay, now that the tears have stopped flowing as I read your comment, James, I just want to say that it was and continues to be all in Christ. Dad and I sometimes sit back and marvel at what our Lord has done, we wonder (and shudder) at what our lives would be without Him. We have so much to be thankful for and that is very humbling. We are so thankful for you three "kids" and for our in-law children and our grandchildren. We love you all more than we can ever express. It is such a joy to see each and every one of you walking with God, facing life in Christ, leading your children in truth to the Saviour ----I added the " u" for your wife ;)
    Thank you for expressing your heart to me. You will one day know fully, when your kids grow up, what this means to a parent. Love, Mom~

    ReplyDelete