Little Things Mean A Lot
......simple things that refresh my spirit
......simple things that refresh my spirit
My day started out calling two friends of my mother.
I had gotten to know them when I would visit Mom.
I call them now and then to visit...to keep in touch.
Through Mom they have become very special in my life.
The one saved the life of my mother a few years ago.
She lives next door to Mom's house.
She knew Mom's daily routine and Mom knew hers.
They kept an eye out for each other.
Each had keys to each other's homes, just in case. They were friends.
She is the one who called me when Mom became suddenly ill.
The other friend lives very near to my mom's house.
She is the one who opened her home to me every time I came to visit after we had to rent my mom's home. She, like the other friend is sweet and has a good sense of humor.
I can't tell you how many times she and I would stay up too late after I would spend all day and evening with Mom in the hospital or the home she lived in,
laughing with tears running down our cheeks.
She is the one who was with me when I received
the phone call that my mother had passed away unexpectedly in the early morning.
I have come to love these two women.
They are like aunts to me, family, and I miss them.
They both seemed to enjoy hearing from me as much as I enjoyed talking to them.
It was a refreshing time, a good way to start my day.
It seemed to be a blessing to them and it certainly was for me!
Though the calls were really small things, they were important.
I want to encourage you not to dismiss the small things.
It is easy to dismiss them as nothing or to get too busy to
take time to do just the little things.
Even if you only have a few minutes, call your mother, father, sister, brother, a friend or go visit.
It may only be a few minutes of your time but you have no idea how much it means to them.
This week has been full of these little blessings from our children.
As our oldest daughter and five of their eight children came today to get eggs. The shouts of, "Grandma!" and the hugs and kisses that followed as they came inside was such a blessing.
As were the adorable drooly baby-smiles, and the sweet hugs from our daughter.
I call them now and then to visit...to keep in touch.
Through Mom they have become very special in my life.
The one saved the life of my mother a few years ago.
She lives next door to Mom's house.
She knew Mom's daily routine and Mom knew hers.
They kept an eye out for each other.
Each had keys to each other's homes, just in case. They were friends.
She is the one who called me when Mom became suddenly ill.
The other friend lives very near to my mom's house.
She is the one who opened her home to me every time I came to visit after we had to rent my mom's home. She, like the other friend is sweet and has a good sense of humor.
I can't tell you how many times she and I would stay up too late after I would spend all day and evening with Mom in the hospital or the home she lived in,
laughing with tears running down our cheeks.
She is the one who was with me when I received
the phone call that my mother had passed away unexpectedly in the early morning.
I have come to love these two women.
They are like aunts to me, family, and I miss them.
They both seemed to enjoy hearing from me as much as I enjoyed talking to them.
It was a refreshing time, a good way to start my day.
It seemed to be a blessing to them and it certainly was for me!
Though the calls were really small things, they were important.
I want to encourage you not to dismiss the small things.
It is easy to dismiss them as nothing or to get too busy to
take time to do just the little things.
Even if you only have a few minutes, call your mother, father, sister, brother, a friend or go visit.
It may only be a few minutes of your time but you have no idea how much it means to them.
This week has been full of these little blessings from our children.
As our oldest daughter and five of their eight children came today to get eggs. The shouts of, "Grandma!" and the hugs and kisses that followed as they came inside was such a blessing.
As were the adorable drooly baby-smiles, and the sweet hugs from our daughter.
But, I just had to laugh when they left, big sister pulling them in a red wagon. The sight of the toddler
imitating the twins waving to me, calling my name, with a big grin on his face as he copied them which I am sure had more to do with his joy of accomplishment than his love for me as they continued,
all the way down the driveway,
was just too cute.
imitating the twins waving to me, calling my name, with a big grin on his face as he copied them which I am sure had more to do with his joy of accomplishment than his love for me as they continued,
all the way down the driveway,
was just too cute.
Our younger daughter and I have called back and forth a lot this week as well as sent and received emails because they are coming, from the other side of the state, to visit in a little over a week while hubby attends a school training and then joins us later. I am enchanted by their daughter's toddler squeals and the puppy-sounds in the background . I miss them so much. I am so glad she and I are in touch frequently. Oh, how I can't wait to see them soon and visit in person! With every small communication by phone
or just FB "likes" and Pinterest pins, my heart is warmed.
or just FB "likes" and Pinterest pins, my heart is warmed.
And our son's faithfulness to call one of us in the family every few days as he drives home from work
thrills me even if I am usually in a parking lot somewhere, pulled over to talk---unlike him I do not have a hands-free device! I love our discussions. I love the sound of his voice. I love that he likes to keep me up on what is new in their life and what new endeavors they are starting . I have always enjoyed our discussions of interesting or important things. The voices I hear as he gets home delight me....the voice of his wife, the shout-outs of their toddler son and babblings of their baby girl are so satisfying to hear. But I miss them. They live out-of-state.
These may seem like little things to you. These may seem like little things to our children.
Calling my mom's long time friends, who have become mine also, may seem like small things.
But it is far from small.
It doesn't take much to express love.
Do it often........
Kathi~
No comments:
Post a Comment