When to Shop for What and Where
...great times to spend less for what you need
...great times to spend less for what you need
On a January day, long ago, a friend told me that she was shopping for bed linens.
She told me that January was the month when stores had what they called,
"White Sales".
I did not know that.
I have since learned that there are other things that typically go on sale at specific times.
See my previous blog (Saturday, February 16, 2013, "Quick Tips.....post-holiday shopping deals")
for more information about what to look for at different times of the year for incredible savings.
After-holiday sales are great but
you have to go as soon after the holiday as you can to catch the really good deals;
something that can be difficult since the last thing most of us want to do right after a holiday
is go shopping. At least I don't like to do that.
Not all sales are after holidays.
Early, before holidays, can be a good time to find sales too.
I wonder if the stores do this to try to entice their customers into thinking about
and buying for the next calendar-event. But beware, this is not always true.
Some stores wait to greatly reduce prices immediately before holidays.
If you are a person who prefers to plan ahead this may not be for you.
I don't usually do that since I do not like to fight the crowds.
I prefer to shop peacefully.
Sometimes stores run out of merchandise long before the season for which you are buying even arrives.
I once tried to buy our oldest daughter, who was a little girl, a bathing suit in June.
Nothing was to be found except back-to-school clothes!
And who wants to fight the snow and cold to go bathing-suit shopping in February or
buy a winter coat in the heat of August?
Before my mom passed away I had a hard time finding gripper socks for her except at Christmastime.
I was told they were a seasonal item.
Do people not wear socks except at Christmas???
So, after Christmas I would buy a lot of them and mail them to her as needed.
Thankfully they carried some without Christmas designs on them!
And did you know that those little tanks of propane that are used for starting fires in grills and wood stoves are seasonal? I do not remember which season they were available but,
Not all sales are after holidays.
Early, before holidays, can be a good time to find sales too.
I wonder if the stores do this to try to entice their customers into thinking about
and buying for the next calendar-event. But beware, this is not always true.
Some stores wait to greatly reduce prices immediately before holidays.
If you are a person who prefers to plan ahead this may not be for you.
I don't usually do that since I do not like to fight the crowds.
I prefer to shop peacefully.
Sometimes stores run out of merchandise long before the season for which you are buying even arrives.
I once tried to buy our oldest daughter, who was a little girl, a bathing suit in June.
Nothing was to be found except back-to-school clothes!
And who wants to fight the snow and cold to go bathing-suit shopping in February or
buy a winter coat in the heat of August?
Before my mom passed away I had a hard time finding gripper socks for her except at Christmastime.
I was told they were a seasonal item.
Do people not wear socks except at Christmas???
So, after Christmas I would buy a lot of them and mail them to her as needed.
Thankfully they carried some without Christmas designs on them!
And did you know that those little tanks of propane that are used for starting fires in grills and wood stoves are seasonal? I do not remember which season they were available but,
when we used them years ago I had to plan to stock up in order to use them all year.
One of my favorite times of year to shop is right before school starts.
Not only will you find inexpensive summer items stores have reduced to get them off their shelves but of course school supplies. It goes without saying that you can use these items for home schooling but , since our kids all graduated from home school a long time ago, I buy office supplies, organizers, paper, pens, pencils---whatever I need---for the whole year when they are very inexpensive. You can also find many other items targeted for college students. Bedding, shower curtains, towels, rugs, crock pots, coffee makers, locker mirrors, mugs, water bottles, shelving, notebooks of all kinds and organizers, planners will be on sale. Just think, "dormitory" and anything that a college student might need is going to be cheaper.
Craft items meant for elementary school kids are all on sale too: glue, scissors, drawing pencils, construction and sketch paper, paints, erasers, chalk, tape, rulers, staples, coloring books,
lunch boxes, pencil boxes or bags.
Another item is pocket-sized and regular boxes of facial tissues. Fall clothing are often on sale then too.
"Back to School" sales are great places to find many things in several categories marked way down.
I buy all that I need for the office, home organization and
One of my favorite times of year to shop is right before school starts.
Not only will you find inexpensive summer items stores have reduced to get them off their shelves but of course school supplies. It goes without saying that you can use these items for home schooling but , since our kids all graduated from home school a long time ago, I buy office supplies, organizers, paper, pens, pencils---whatever I need---for the whole year when they are very inexpensive. You can also find many other items targeted for college students. Bedding, shower curtains, towels, rugs, crock pots, coffee makers, locker mirrors, mugs, water bottles, shelving, notebooks of all kinds and organizers, planners will be on sale. Just think, "dormitory" and anything that a college student might need is going to be cheaper.
Craft items meant for elementary school kids are all on sale too: glue, scissors, drawing pencils, construction and sketch paper, paints, erasers, chalk, tape, rulers, staples, coloring books,
lunch boxes, pencil boxes or bags.
Another item is pocket-sized and regular boxes of facial tissues. Fall clothing are often on sale then too.
"Back to School" sales are great places to find many things in several categories marked way down.
I buy all that I need for the office, home organization and
fun things to stick in stockings for the grandkids at Christmas time.
Holiday coupons at grocery stores are a great way to buy things you use, but also to give to the needy.
I watch for these things all year long and keep a bag of these items in my kitchen for food drives.
See my blog on this topic (Thusday, January 10, 2013, "Hospitality.....giving to the more needy")
for more ideas. Many of these coupons are free too!
There are times---twice yearly in some stores---when case lots of canned and other items
are offered at greatly reduced prices.
These are often just by the case, but sometimes they sell for the same price, or close to, it individually too.
I don't often use canned food, but I will buy "emergency" foods at these sales.
By "emergency" I do not mean survival stuff like if we have bad storms or something world-wide happens.
There are many opinions on those subjects and I prefer not to discuss them on my blog not wanting to influence anyone one way or the other.
There are lots of blogs and other info out there for that kind of thing if you are interested.
As in everything, do the best with what you've got---what you can afford, have room for, etc.
I am referring to emergencies when Uncle Harry and Aunt Gertrude show up unannounced at meal time when you have nothing to feed them. A hearty chili can be tossed together quickly from several cans of different kinds of beans and cut green beans, tomatoes and some spices. Canned salmon can make a delicious Ciopino (an Italian fish stew/soup) or chowder with some potatoes and spices. Three-Bean salads are quick. And a can of garbanzo beans can be pureed with spices and served with veggies or chips or in wraps as hummus, as can black beans. Lots of easy things. Or you may be in a rush, called to do something that takes you away from the home or tires you out so that you don't feel like whipping up dinner and don't have leftovers or anything thawed you could have put in a slow cooker.
And sometimes tossing a quick soup together sounds mighty good!
As in everything, do the best with what you've got---what you can afford, have room for, etc.
I am referring to emergencies when Uncle Harry and Aunt Gertrude show up unannounced at meal time when you have nothing to feed them. A hearty chili can be tossed together quickly from several cans of different kinds of beans and cut green beans, tomatoes and some spices. Canned salmon can make a delicious Ciopino (an Italian fish stew/soup) or chowder with some potatoes and spices. Three-Bean salads are quick. And a can of garbanzo beans can be pureed with spices and served with veggies or chips or in wraps as hummus, as can black beans. Lots of easy things. Or you may be in a rush, called to do something that takes you away from the home or tires you out so that you don't feel like whipping up dinner and don't have leftovers or anything thawed you could have put in a slow cooker.
And sometimes tossing a quick soup together sounds mighty good!
I do keep these things on hand just in case. The veggies are usually about half off their regular prices but check to make sure this is a savings for you. Fruit and paper products are also often included.
One such sale was held recently here but I passed it up because the prices were the same as what I could get the items for on regular sales held often throughout the year.
Make a mental or written note of what things cost so you make the right decision.
Also, I have steered clear from some Brand X items. I have almost choked on too many green bean stems and leaves to trust some of the store brands.
Be careful. Be wise.
Change-of-season sales are nice too. I have gotten plants, flower pots and house plants marked way down. I often buy viable but dying-fast plants for our house, nurse them back to health, and plant them in pots I've found on sale at the end of summer.
One such sale was held recently here but I passed it up because the prices were the same as what I could get the items for on regular sales held often throughout the year.
Make a mental or written note of what things cost so you make the right decision.
Also, I have steered clear from some Brand X items. I have almost choked on too many green bean stems and leaves to trust some of the store brands.
Be careful. Be wise.
Change-of-season sales are nice too. I have gotten plants, flower pots and house plants marked way down. I often buy viable but dying-fast plants for our house, nurse them back to health, and plant them in pots I've found on sale at the end of summer.
Before Thanksgiving I scope out some of my favorite stores for what they have on their shelves. I make a mental or written note of what I would like. Not only is Fall my favorite season but our home is Craftsman style which is known for its nature-based design and earth tones. I also love to buy guest towels that say, "Give Thanks" on them with a simple leaf motif to give as gifts which are appropriate to display all year round. I get things I need for the kitchen: serving pieces, mugs, glasses, towels, pot holders, candles, sometimes plates. I have a large set of small plates and serving pieces that are shaped like leaves that go with my off-white basic set of dishes.
Craft stores often sell their seasonal or holiday craft items at greatly-reduced prices too.
Good places to check.
I have found that second-hand stores offer change-of-season and post-holiday sales too. I like to search the book sections for discarded/unappreciated book gifts. It's funny, you can tell if someone gave away a good book without even having read it because of the tell-tale "crack" sound when you open it. And there is often a recently-dated inscription. I found a good book on fatherhood---two copies written the same Christmas to the same person. I had to laugh----he was either a bad father that needed help and everyone knew it, or a great dad that these relatives were honoring. Ha!
I will do a blog on rummage, yard and garage sales soon since that season is almost upon us.
I actually saw a sign for one this week while I was shopping.
The times when things go on sale is something you have to scope out for your own region.
Dates are usually dependent on seasonal weather and dates for when school gets out and starts in different areas. It's a good idea to put these on a list, or better yet, a calendar, so you know what's coming up and can plan for it.
To me, saving money is just part of the fun, responsibility and creativity in homemaking.
I get excited about the treasures I find, the needs I save money on, the unexpected new things I find.
A couple of days ago I went to a second-hand store before I went to any retail stores to see if they had anything on my list of mostly Craftsman decor for some re-do's on our home.
I found: three brand-new curved lampshades in the size I needed and had been looking for for ages not wanting to pay full-retail for them since the style I wanted was spendy. They still had store tags and packaging on them and cost 1/10th the price of what the retail store would have asked for each one. I also found blown-glass tumblers that match, and are a coordinating color ( I love to mix and match!) to those I bought years ago at that same store. The main things I had on my list were picture frames to redo two walls on which I display family photos and prints of favorite art. I bought seven for about the price of one and some still had store tags and original packaging on them. The woman's scarf I bought will be re-purposed as a table runner since it is Craftsman-like in design and too wide and the wrong color for my tastes in scarves.
I was thrilled! I spent no where near what I had planned to spend!
I can't wait to use them when I redecorate!
I will post pictures when and where I use them.
I hope you too enjoy great savings where you find them!
Happy hunting.....
Kathi~
Dates are usually dependent on seasonal weather and dates for when school gets out and starts in different areas. It's a good idea to put these on a list, or better yet, a calendar, so you know what's coming up and can plan for it.
To me, saving money is just part of the fun, responsibility and creativity in homemaking.
I get excited about the treasures I find, the needs I save money on, the unexpected new things I find.
A couple of days ago I went to a second-hand store before I went to any retail stores to see if they had anything on my list of mostly Craftsman decor for some re-do's on our home.
I found: three brand-new curved lampshades in the size I needed and had been looking for for ages not wanting to pay full-retail for them since the style I wanted was spendy. They still had store tags and packaging on them and cost 1/10th the price of what the retail store would have asked for each one. I also found blown-glass tumblers that match, and are a coordinating color ( I love to mix and match!) to those I bought years ago at that same store. The main things I had on my list were picture frames to redo two walls on which I display family photos and prints of favorite art. I bought seven for about the price of one and some still had store tags and original packaging on them. The woman's scarf I bought will be re-purposed as a table runner since it is Craftsman-like in design and too wide and the wrong color for my tastes in scarves.
I was thrilled! I spent no where near what I had planned to spend!
I can't wait to use them when I redecorate!
I will post pictures when and where I use them.
I hope you too enjoy great savings where you find them!
Happy hunting.....
Kathi~
I
No comments:
Post a Comment