Pages

Saturday, March 9, 2013

When Plans Go Awry
..... not well, but much better

I have not written on my blog since March 4th. our anniversary. I became sick with this nasty long-g-g flu the week before that on  February 23rd. I am feeling much better but still not well.

As I prepared to write today I came across this draft of meal threads I had saved to post about the time I became ill. I was going to delete them since this is not what we ended up doing but thought it might be helpful to see a meal plan anyway.

That Monday we did have chicken soup as planned but our oldest daughter made it for me. My husband made different meals for himself so the soup would last longer. He brought me breakfast. lunch and dinner and a fruit snack if I woke in the middle of the night since I couldn't eat much at a time. He kept my water bottle filled and did laundry and almost everything else I would normally do as well as checking on me. He also went to the local store to get the few things that did sound good to me. Thankfully, he only had a few short jobs that week.

Nothing sounded good to me but plain Greek yogurt and chicken soup. The first day or two I had a high fever and nausea and lots of body aches. I moaned the first two days and slept most of the time. The second week I came downstairs everyday. Starting out, I just came down to eat in the morning and pack a lunch and throw something in the crockpot for dinner then go back to bed.  My husband, who would still bring dinner up to me every night,  had started on a new project. I started to be able to fold laundry and even put it away after my husband brought what he'd washed up to our room.

I am resting still after having a bad time at the grocery store Thursday. So glad my husband was with me. I was so weak and felt faint and barely made it out of the store and home. My husband had driven us to town the week before and I stayed in the car in the warm sun reading while he shopped----I handled that okay so thought I was ready to actually shop. Guess I'm not ready yet. I am getting a lot organized and that is very nice. Most of those I know who had this flu were down with it from three to eight weeks. I haven't had the flu for about 30 years (and no, I do not get flu shots) and never this badly. This has been messing with me for two months before I got sick----just feeling run down. Most say it comes back if you do too much----I am holding out for just this once! 

So, here is what I planned for the end of February into early March. I hope it helps and encourages you to create your own disguised leftover meals. 

  • Monday: chicken soup made from a whole chicken which will be stripped of meat which
    will be used for other meals below and the bones boiled again for chicken broth for later use.
  • Tuesday: mugs of chicken soup and hummus and raw veggies on Ezekiel sprouted tortillas
  • Wednesday: frozen spaghetti pizza from that meatloaf leftover thread
  • Thursday: chicken stir fry with leftover meat from chicken 
  • Friday: chicken pot pie from leftover chicken and veggies from soup and leftover stir-fry veggies
  • Saturday: Fish Tacos 
  • Sunday: Mexican salad using some leftovers from the tacos and black beans
  • Monday: Our 41st. Anniversary------we are going out!
  • Tuesday: lasagna soup from leftovers in freezer
  • Wednesday: leftover lasagna soup pureed into a tomato bisque soup and grilled cheese sandwiches
I  hope to write later tonight. I am washing all our bedding today and doing some office-organization.
I have some pictures to post and more meals to share.

Have a great weekend!
Kathi~







No comments:

Post a Comment