My Bad
......oops
Here I am having just posted about reading labels and never assuming.
I just was in the kitchen to take a picture of a bad label which is posted below.
Then I picked up a jar of almond butter (partially organic) to take a picture of a good label.
I have purchased this almond butter for years.
The label used to say, "almonds, sea salt". Then, awhile ago I noticed the taste was
different, so I read the label which said, "dry roasted almonds, sea salt."
For awhile you could no longer buy raw almonds, I forget why.
I bought it anyway off and on. I change types of nut butters that we use from time to time.
I did notice the label this month stated it was salt free.
I did not notice "no stir" written across the front nor did I read the label. I assumed it was the same product except without salt. Now, if I had noticed this I would not have purchased it or I would have at least read the label to be sure it wasn't different than most other "no-stir" products..... and then put it back on the shelf.
No-stir nut butters usually add sugar and other
oils to their products.
I assumed it was the same but without salt.
As I said before, I have no problem with salt but dislike nut butters that are
salted for the simple reason that as they sit the salt somehow
gets concentrated in the bottom of the jar and
tastes nasty to me.
If I am going to use a sweetner I always use natural products. Organic evaporated cane sugar is something I use rarely, when baking. But although the natural sugars are better for the body, they are
still sugar----and this includes fruit which of course has natural sugar (fructose).
But as a society we eat far too much sugar even if it is natural.
If I want to make something with sugar in it I allow for that in our weekly meal plans. I do not want it added into foods that have not previously had added sugar. And it seems silly to me to
buy something that has been adultered just for the purpose of
making it easier to stir.
I did this once before with butter.
Since I found out that inferior milk is sometimes used to make butter which
Here I am having just posted about reading labels and never assuming.
I just was in the kitchen to take a picture of a bad label which is posted below.
Then I picked up a jar of almond butter (partially organic) to take a picture of a good label.
I have purchased this almond butter for years.
The label used to say, "almonds, sea salt". Then, awhile ago I noticed the taste was
different, so I read the label which said, "dry roasted almonds, sea salt."
For awhile you could no longer buy raw almonds, I forget why.
I bought it anyway off and on. I change types of nut butters that we use from time to time.
I did notice the label this month stated it was salt free.
I did not notice "no stir" written across the front nor did I read the label. I assumed it was the same product except without salt. Now, if I had noticed this I would not have purchased it or I would have at least read the label to be sure it wasn't different than most other "no-stir" products..... and then put it back on the shelf.
No-stir nut butters usually add sugar and other
oils to their products.
I assumed it was the same but without salt.
As I said before, I have no problem with salt but dislike nut butters that are
salted for the simple reason that as they sit the salt somehow
gets concentrated in the bottom of the jar and
tastes nasty to me.
If I am going to use a sweetner I always use natural products. Organic evaporated cane sugar is something I use rarely, when baking. But although the natural sugars are better for the body, they are
still sugar----and this includes fruit which of course has natural sugar (fructose).
But as a society we eat far too much sugar even if it is natural.
If I want to make something with sugar in it I allow for that in our weekly meal plans. I do not want it added into foods that have not previously had added sugar. And it seems silly to me to
buy something that has been adultered just for the purpose of
making it easier to stir.
I did this once before with butter.
Since I found out that inferior milk is sometimes used to make butter which
salt is added to to disguise the off-flavor, and since many recipes call for unsalted butter,
I started buying that.
Yes, it does have a different taste---more like cream than the butter we have become used to.
I figured I could add a touch of sea salt if we wanted it.
I started buying that.
Yes, it does have a different taste---more like cream than the butter we have become used to.
I figured I could add a touch of sea salt if we wanted it.
But I happened to read the label one day after purchasing it for quite awhile
and noticed it has sugar added to it!
Today I am heading both north and south of here to do my weekly shopping.
I will take my own advice and read every label.
This is annoying, but not as much as coming home with a product you don't want to use.
So, don't do as I have done, do as I say----ha!
Read labels.
and noticed it has sugar added to it!
Today I am heading both north and south of here to do my weekly shopping.
I will take my own advice and read every label.
This is annoying, but not as much as coming home with a product you don't want to use.
So, don't do as I have done, do as I say----ha!
Read labels.
This picture is fuzzy which doesn't really matter
because I just wanted to show the length of the label.
The items that are food on this label are bad-for-you foods and the rest , the majority, are pretty
much artificial colors and flavors with preservatives.
Oh, and a handful of vitamins tossed in to make you feel better.
The items that are food on this label are bad-for-you foods and the rest , the majority, are pretty
much artificial colors and flavors with preservatives.
Oh, and a handful of vitamins tossed in to make you feel better.
I would not buy this because I know that this item can be made at home using 2 or 3 ingredients
and for a whole lot less money and only a few seconds more time than this!
and for a whole lot less money and only a few seconds more time than this!
Sigh....
Kathi~
Kathi~

No comments:
Post a Comment