Pages

Monday, April 1, 2013

A Springtime Monday
....it finally arrived!
With the arrival of Spring here in this part of the Rockies and the warmer temperatures 
and sunny days I find making soup for dinner doesn't sound as good as it did during colder
weather. So, tonight we are having salads made from leftovers, of course! 


Let's see, what do I have on hand that I need to use?
I have leftovers from yesterday and some things that I need to use up before I shop this week.
They are:

  • leftover three-bean salad
  • leftover cucumber/onion marinated salad
  • stuffing and cooked egg whites from making deviled eggs 
  • hard, sourdough bread
  • romaine lettuce
  • green cabbage
  • a small bit of raw broccoli
  • several large mushrooms

Okay, I got it!
I will start with dinner plates of chopped romaine, shredded raw cabbage and broccoli florets. I will drain the bean and cucumber salads and save the marinades.
The raw veggie salads will be topped with the marinated cucumbers and onions and the bean salad.
I will clean, stem and stuff the large mushrooms with the leftover deviled egg mixture (which has cream cheese as its base because I had no mayo.I had great difficulty peeling the eggs after I hard boiled them so it also contains several cooked egg whites along with the yolks. With no mayo there was no zip despite the presence of some mustard so I added a tablespoon or so of salsa. It was very good!) Atop the stuffed mushrooms I will sprinkle Parmesan and then bake them until the mushrooms are warm and the stuffing melty. 
I  will put the hard sourdough bread slices in a glass pan into which the marinade from the two salads will have been poured, which will soften and flavor the bread which will be broiled at serving time to have with the salads.
Sounds good and I know my husband will love it.
And it will pretty much empty our refrigerator so I can give it its weekly cleaning before I go to the store to fill it up for another week!

On Wednesday I will start a new thread depending on what is on sale at the grocery stores this week and what I have on hand.

Have a good Monday!

Kathi~

No comments:

Post a Comment